[OSGeo-Discuss] A wonderful FOSS4G event...

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 13:15:27 PDT 2014

Hi Jeff,

you are always fast - thank you for your letter.

I would agree, it was fun and dense, as FOSS4G should be. Big thanks
to Peter Baumann and his team, for getting this real.

And thank you all for coming, giving workshops, talks and
code-sprinting. This is, what FOSS4G is about, no matter, how great
the organization or venue seems to be.

Since positive feedback was all around, we would like to start
discussion about next FOSS4G-Europe event and establish FOSS4G-Europe
conference committee, please all, if you are interested in the topic,
join conference-europe mailing list, we should continue there.

CU next time

Jachym

> Hello all,
>
> I want to publicly thank Peter Baumann and the whole organizing
> committee for such a fun and inspiring FOSS4G-Europe event.  I have the
> same feeling now that I had after I came back from other vibrant events
> such as FOSS4G-CEE in Bucharest and FOSS4G-BA in Argentina.  These
> smaller events are filled with passion, fun, learning, and energetic
> students, and are true to the spirit of what FOSS4G is meant to be -
> sharing and fun.  This first ever FOSS4G Europe event had many of the
> original FOSS4G family members, including Venka and Markus and myself,
> together again after so many years.
>
> The event may seem smaller, but not in terms of countries represented
> (over 50), and I heard from many attendees how great the program was.
> There is also something about the feeling of where FOSS4G started: on a
> university campus, with lower costs, with a focus on workshops and
> technical talks, and free social events of course.  This event even had
> Becks beer as a sponsor, which would make any core FOSS4G-er smile with
> pleasure.  Even the code sprint, which was small (about 18 attendees)
> but it was just fun to be a part of, to hear the testing and compiling
> of OSGeo-Live, of seeing students show up and willing to contribute:
> thanks to Jachym and Peter for giving us the time and space to do this.
>
> I am very glad I was there in person, as you can see a lot of momentum
> has been generated from this event, with many European local leaders
> becoming much more vocal now, on topics such as OSGeo representation in
> Europe, industry focus, etc.  I am happy that I was there in person to
> talk face-to-face with community members and hear the wonderful ideas
> and also concerns.  I encouraged them there to speak openly from now on,
> share their ideas with the global community.  I am happy to see already
> such a buzz of activity on the mailing lists as a result of all these
> discussions.
>
> I know myself I feel rejuvenated, filled even more with FOSS4G passion
> and energy.  I owe this to the FOSS4G-Europe attendees and local
> committee: all the relaxing talks I had outside the building sitting
> down in the shade 'in my office' ha.
>
> And who really would ever believe that I cooked for about 40 FOSS4G-ers?
>  Well only those there could believe it ha!
>
> Thank you to everyone who attended the first FOSS4G Europe, you are my
> true family.
>
> -jeff

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com