[OSGeo-Discuss] Membership fee (was: Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members)

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Tue Jul 1 09:46:23 PDT 2014

Although I am not so active on the mailing list,  I am an OSGeo's
advocate, and I take the opportunity to promote OSGeo wherever I can.

I became an OSGeo member in 2007 because I was proud on what the
organisation did and I wanted to support it, with the scarce resources I
own.

One of the things I appreciate enormously is

- The organisation is open (as in open source)
- Becoming a member of the organisation is totally free (*yes* like in
free beer!)
- the organisation has a perfect DNA:
    - members can
        - act as *A* user
        - act as *T*echnical skilled person (sofware developers,
industry, documentation)
        - work at *G*overmental body
        - member of the s*C*ientific world (academic world)

In the world of today *free* as in gratis, *free* as in *free* *beer*,
doing something for
somebody else is very rare (scarce) that it becomes very valuable.
Being a part of a community like OSGeo not only is *fun* but also gives
you a *good* feeling, and it is very motivating to work in a company or
organisation that supports OSGeo.

I may be naive, but for me personally this works out well, and having
that feeling is one of the important incentives to keep contributing to
the community. (And by the way, working with other members of the OSGeo
community didn't result in any bad experience until now)

Of course, an organisation needs money, To support some stuff (.svn or
whathever goal is worth supporting). But I think we should keep the
membership *free* (and not as in *free* beer!), because it is in my eyes
a very essential part of OSGeo:

"Core principles are:

    OSGeo should act as a low capital, volunteer focused organisation.
    OSGeo should focus support on OSGeo communities and initiatives
which support themselves. " [1]

As in DNA, different chains have different roles.

*G*overnments are happy to have such a movement as the Free and open
source software [2] movement, because they can avoid vendor lock-in,
gain control over their projects (read: become free again), and save a
lot of money. They should take this advantage seriously and sponsor open
source activities.

the s*C*ientific world is happy to use open source solutions, because
they can study the tools themselves and focus on research, not being
bothered of the licenses they are using.
They also should take this advantage seriously and donate scientific
relevant material they don't want to exploit immediately to the community.

*A*ny user should be free (*not* as in free beer) to use and experiment
with the results of what the community is producing. The community
should welcome *A*ny user and help him to find his way, so he can take
his responsibility and earn respect for what he is doing.

And last but not least: the *T*echnically skilled persons are the heart
of the community. Being able to create great teamwork and donate back to
the community. Also they should take their responsibility and earn the
respect they deserve.

But where is the money we need to operate the organisation?

Personally, I don't think it are the users nor the community members who
should take care of that. Because the belonging to the community should
remain a *free* right, where the value comes from respect and the
intense feeling of giving something without expecting something back.

The strange thing is that many of the members are also professional
involved into OSGeo (acting as A T G or C).
So I suggest it should not be the (community) members who should pay for
the support, but these professional actors.
And they (the professional actors) should become a member (in their role
of incorporation) to support it. But sponsored membership should not
give rights to vote, or whatsoever. The only thing you gain is that you,
as a professional incorporation, are happy with an organisation as
OSGeo, fighting for your rights to be able to use *free* software.  And
the sponsors should trust and believe that a low capital, volunteer
focused organisation will do that for them, as they do it already today.

The sponsoring should not be an obligation either, but should be the
common responsibility of the companies sponsoring the FOSS4G events today.

my 2c

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Board_Priorities
[2] http://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software

Dirk