[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:02:35 PDT 2014

On 1/07/2014 10:32 pm, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
> On 07/01/2014 01:40 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>> ---
>> Some specific answers below:
>>
>> On 30/06/2014 9:33 am, Angelos Tzotsos wrote:
>>> Perhaps we should ask for a minimum of Yes votes on each candidate
>>> before acceptance. A fixed percentage of the Charter Members maybe?
>> Good suggestion. Added "..as well as 5% of charter members who voted".
>> So if there are 180 charter members, and say 100 vote, that would
>> mean you would need 5 YES votes.
> In my opinion this threshold should be applied on the overall number
> of charter members, i.e. 5% of 180.
> Someone should have an absolute minimum of Yes votes (e.g. 10) in
> order to be elected, not a relative one.
Hi Angelos,
Your comments are valid. My reason for setting the number of votes low is:
1. I think it more important to err on being more inclusive than less.
2. Over the next few years, with the relaxed selection criteria, I'd
expect OSGeo Charter Membership to increase substantially over the next
few years, so 5% this year would require 5 votes, next year probably 10
or 15, following year, probably 20 to 30.
3. If active membership does drop off, having a % of votes rather than
absolute number would make it easier for charter membership to
revitalize itself later.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager