[OSGeo-Discuss] Using ArcGIS Desktop with PostGIS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Fri Jul 11 09:11:19 PDT 2014

Dear Bruce,

Not sure if this is interesting or not. In my previous role, my team & I
worked on adding ArcGIS support for Ingres, which is also open source
and similar to Postgres/PostGIS. I learned quite a bit during the
process. I appreciated that Esri offers a very useful layer to plugin &
extend ArcMap/ArcCatalog, etc. You can code in Python, .NET, or Java.

Despite being warned by many that we were crazy to even try to do this,
after investing to grok Esri's architecture, we got it done in only a
few months. The end result was pretty good... full read/write and most
major features worked well. It didn't require ArcSDE.

This wasn't every single feature of course.  For example, we didn't do
long transaction support as it wasn't that urgent for our customer at
the time & was going to be a lot of work. From what I understand from
the outside, the team has nudged it along over the years fixing up bugs
and edge cases we didn't consider in the first release.

At the time, we took a brief look to understand the landscape and there
seemed to be some fairly significant limitations in ArcGIS support for
PostGIS. I'm not sure if that's changed since then as it has been a
couple of years.

The team has disbanded since, but if there were interest in engaging any
of them, I'd be happy to make introductions. I also know of companies
that do work in this space.

Andrew