[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Open Source Users Charter

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Mon Jul 14 17:41:22 PDT 2014

Hi Steven,
I love your article and think it is a good basis we can build from, but ...

the article misses an Inconvenient Truth.

Open Source gives away free lunches (in the context referenced by this
article). More accurately, Open Source provides a better quality lunch,
which is better value than proprietary equivalents, and you only need to
tip the cooks if you are feeling generous.

Ie, organisations can, and do, enjoy the benefits of Open Source without
giving back to the community.

In order to become effective at raising money for Open Source, we need to
provide business arguments for Chief Financial Officers which explains why
spending money on Open Source gives strategic advantages beyond just being
a user of Open Source.

Such arguments can be made, but they require more thought and explanation
than this limited response.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager