[OSGeo-Discuss] Gender bias in nominations

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Thu Jul 24 07:59:08 PDT 2014

I totally agree with Maria. As a female member of OSGeo I don't really feel
that my gender matters in the slightest. I'm far more concerned about a
bias towards people from the US or Northern/Western Europe if we are trying
to be truly global.

Jo

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM, María Arias de Reyna <
delawen+osgeo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Jeff McKenna <
> jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>
>> It has been reported to me directly that there are not enough female
>> nominations for Charter members.  I just want to bring this to the
>> attention of the whole community.
>>
>> Thanks all,
>>
>> -jeff
>>

> Agreed.
>
> On the other hand, no one should be nominated just because of their
> gender. In the long run, it doesn't help increasing female numbers. (It
> won't be the first time someone thinks I am where I am just because I am
> female and not because I worked hard.)
>
> I'm sorry if I am bothering someone, but I am very picky with all this
> stuff. It is the eternal discussion about not having enough female in tech
> organizations. If we want to have more female on OsGeo, we should go to
> school now to have them in OsGeo in a few years :)
>
> Until then, does it really matter? Are we doing things different? I know
> it looks very cool to have half and half but, is it really important?
>
> Regards,
> María.

*Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 7930 524 155
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform
<http://www.isharemaps.com/>

864201149.