[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 15:49:41 PDT 2014

Ah, I replied to this email (from my osgeo-board inbox) before reading
the rest of my emails from my osgeo-discuss inbox.  I see there has been
a lot of discussion about this proposal in the last 12 hrs.

I'm still of the opinion that charter membership is most valuable when
provided to recognised volunteers.
This aligns with our current OSGeo Board Priorities:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Board_Priorities

*/OSGeo as a low capital, volunteer focused organisation/*/
//Should OSGeo act as a high capital or low capital organisation? I.e.,
should OSGeo dedicate energy to collecting sponsorship and then passing
out these funds to worthy OSGeo causes.//
//While initially it seems attractive to have OSGeo woo sponsors,
because we would all love to have more money to throw at worthy OSGeo
goals, the reality is that chasing money is hard work. And someone who
can chase OSGeo sponsorship is likely conflicted with chasing
sponsorship for their particular workplace. So in practice, to be
effective in chasing sponsorship, OSGeo will probably need to hire
someone specifically for the role. OSGeo would then need to raise at
least enough to cover wages, and then quite a bit more if the
sponsorship path is to create extra value.//
//This high capital path is how the Apache foundation is set up, and how
LocationTech propose to organise themselves. It is the path that OSGeo
started following when founded under the umbrella of Autodesk.//
//However, as OSGeo has grown, OSGeo has slowly evolved toward a low
capital volunteer focused organisation. Our overheads are very low,
which means we waste very little of our volunteer labour and capital on
the time consuming task of chasing and managing money. Consequently, any
money we do receive (from conference windfalls or sponsorship) goes a
long way - as it doesn't get eaten up by high overheads. This low
capital path is something that is working very well for us, and the path
we should continue to follow./

I'm open to revisiting this, but switching from a charter based on
recognised volunteers to paid membership is a major change from OSGeo's
constitution, and should not be made without substantial consultation
with the community.

(I'd agree with Dimitris that this would be a vote which should be put
to the whole of the OSGeo Charter membership).

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,