[OSGeo-Discuss] Membership fee (was: Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members)

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Tue Jun 24 03:52:52 PDT 2014

El 24/06/14 12:33, Mateusz Łoskot escribió:
> Folks,
>
> I still can't comprehend what actually is being objected in the proposal
> of membership fee.
> Moreover, I can't understand how the fact members financially support their
> organisation stands in contradiction with active volunteer-based participation.
>
> What is the actual problem here, act of paying or amount or anything else?

The problem I think is that we are talking about the membership, about
putting money as a requirement, instead of recognition being elected by
your peers.

> What if we've never considered the membership fee and instead
> we (the OSGeo) would be issuing regular calls on the mailing list:
>
> """
> People, this month's bill for svn.osgeo.org is due.
> Who's paying this time, any ***volunteers***?
> """

Ha! Not exactly that, but maybe doing better outreach effort to show
where the money is used would help to a better understanding of the need
of funds.

Budgets are published and anyone willing to ask can reach them, but
maybe being more proactive on showing the need for money could help to
increase the perception that maintaining OSGeo is not free (as free beer).

--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
http://es.osgeo.org