[OSGeo-Discuss] Membership fee (was: Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members)

Dave Patton dave at patton.org
Tue Jun 24 22:49:23 PDT 2014

On 2014/06/24 03:33, Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I still can't comprehend what actually is being objected in the
> proposal of membership fee. Moreover, I can't understand how the fact
> members financially support their organisation stands in
> contradiction with active volunteer-based participation.
>
> What is the actual problem here, act of paying or amount or anything
> else?

My $0.02 [1]

Separate the issues:

A)
Have a discussion about the Charter Member process that does
not have anything to do with "fees", and then come to a
resolution (at least for this year).

B)
Have a separate discussion about "fees" and types of
memberships (e.g. different thread(s), perhaps at a
different time frame than (A) to avoid muddying the waters).

C)
Have a separate discussion about "fundraising", and ways
to accomplish that (some of which have already been
brought up within the current discussions).

[1]
With the elimination of the Canadian penny[2]
and the rounding process, that $0.02 is worth
zero dollars, so take it for what's it's worth ;-)

[2]
http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about-the-mint/phasing-out-the-penny-6900002

--
Dave Patton