[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Proposed process for selecting OSGeo charter members

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Sun Jun 29 18:51:35 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/30/2014 12:07 AM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
>>>

>>> 2. Charter members then vote (in/out) nominated charter members. This
>>> will
>>> be different to prior years, as we previously voted in a fixed number of
>>> members for a larger selection pool. (eg vote in 20 people from a list of
>>> 30). For this year, I propose we have a "Yes/No" vote. Ie, if we have a
>>> list of 30 candidates, we will ask all charter members to vote Yes or No
>>> against each candidate. Each candidate with greater than 50% of YES votes
>>> will be included as new charter members.
>>>

>> Well, I doubt some charter member would vote with "No" for candidates.
>> And what if you don't know a candidate well enough or not at all?
>>
>> So I'm not sure this is really a good idea. I believe the result will just
>> be that all candidates will be accepted ... as in previous years.
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> Perhaps we should ask for a minimum of Yes votes on each candidate before
> acceptance. A fixed percentage of the Charter Members maybe?

If the goal is to have an inclusive charter membership, then some of
these voting methods would potentially better accommodate all nominees
based on an evaluation of
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process#Positive_Attributes.

Even brought up that most OSGeo projects work on some form of
consensus.  50%+ is nothing like consensus.  I would support requiring
much less opposition for approval.  Perhaps no more than 5-10 "no"
votes.  For me, to vote "no" I will need to know the person very well
and know that they lack all or most of these,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process#Positive_Attributes or I
will need to know that they actively think or behave counter to one or
more of those characteristics.

Angelos brought up the idea of a minimum level of support.  That could
be combined with a minimal level of opposition.

I know that the process needs proceed soon.

Eli