[OSGeo-Discuss] Solr vs PostGIS/WFS

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:05:15 PDT 2014

Hi Cameron,

On 05/06/2014 01:55 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I've heard a few people recommending [b] Solr [a] for lightning fast
> spatial search, which leads me to question my understanding of best
> practice OGC / OSGeo design paradigms.

Solr is one of the most popular enterprise search engine, with NoSQL
features recently added.
Traditionally it is not used to replace a database but to create indexes
and make searches very fast.

> In particular:
>
> 1. Have people been rolling out Solr's spatial search into production
> instead of WFS (such as GeoServer)? Why was or was not Solr chosen?

Solr has been widely used in production as part of CKAN [1].
Specifically CKAN with spatial extension was deployed recently in US
data.gov [2], data.gov.uk [3] and data.gov.au [4] among others.

Two of the OSGeo CSW implementations are planning to support Solr as a
search back-end [5] [6]

> 2. Solr doesn't seem to follow OGC standards (I'd suspect a cut down
> version of WFS would be appropriate). Are there discussions with the
> OGC about setting up an appropriate standard which Solr could/should
> follow?
>

> 3. If Solr is indeed a good match for certain use cases, then should
> we be including it on OSGeo-Live [c]?

In my opinion we should consider CKAN (with spatial extension) to be
included in OSGeoLive.

> [a] https://lucene.apache.org/solr/ Solr is the popular, blazing fast
> open source enterprise search platform. Its major features include
> powerful full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted search, near
> real-time indexing, dynamic clustering, database integration, rich
> document (e.g., Word, PDF) handling, and *geospatial search*.
>
> [b]
> http://wiki.hsr.ch/Datenbanken/files/Geospatial_Search_Evaluation_of_Solr_Presentation_HS2013_Wolski.pdf
>
> [c] http://live.osgeo.org

Best,