[OSGeo-Discuss] gvSIG: as desktop application officially supported by OSGeo

ProjectNewAge projectnewage at gmail.com
Tue May 13 23:37:12 PDT 2014

Hi,

I just wanted to ask whether gvSIG could be mentioned a desktop
application officially supported by OSGeo (currently this isn't the
case, see "OSGeo Projects" column at the right at
http://www.osgeo.org/

I think it is superior to all others mentioned, as it is:
* very lightweight (in comparison to QGIS and GRASS GIS)
* very simple (much easier to learn for 1st time users)
* able to download maps from a database (unlike the others, as far as
I know), see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Geographic_information_system#Advantages_of_a_GIS_program_over_Google_Maps.2FGIMP_combo
* able to be used as GPS navigation software; en-route navigation e.g.
when using a laptop

Also I wanted to mention the idea of bundling all complementary
software with a Linux distro (e.g. SliTaz ); an alternative is to make
packages for several Linux distro's and/or windows/OS X.

Finally I wanted to present the idea of cooperating with/supporting of
neighbourhood committees, see the mail below sent to the wild network.

Thomas Smith