[OSGeo-Discuss] gvSIG: as desktop application officially supported by OSGeo

ProjectNewAge projectnewage at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:52:08 PDT 2014

Angelos (Tzotsos) and Jorge Sanz informed me that
* gvSIG is finishing its incubation into the OSGeo Foundation
(http://www.osgeo.org/incubator ,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Incubation_Checklist ,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Incubation_Status )
* the OSGeoLive project exists which allready bundles OSGeo software
(http://live.osgeo.org/en/index.html )

So, my previous requests/mail can be scrapped. However, I thought
about the OSGeo Live operating system, which is based on Xubuntu.
Xubuntu is said to be "lightweight", but that's not really true, at
least not compared to other Linux operating systems. SliTaz is by far
lighter (16 mb ram required instead of 256 or even 512mb for Xubuntu,
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SliTaz_GNU/Linux and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu#Goals

Also, I wonder whom will download the OSGeo live CD; it contains much
more programs than what most users (even professionals) will need.
Also, some other programs (not for geo-tasks may be missing) which
certain users do need.
Perhaps that a good alternative is to simply make a website with the
RPM versions of the install packages; these can pretty much be
installed on any Linux OS (including SliTaz, see
hg.slitaz.org/tazpkg/raw-file/tip/doc/tazpkg.en.html )

Thomas