[OSGeo-Discuss] Short codes for locations

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:53:47 PDT 2014

Hi Doug,
An interesting and potentially useful concept.
It sounds like you are proposing a spatial standard. Have you approached
the Open Geospatial Consortium about getting the standard endorsed?

With regards to any code which you wish to produce and open source, I
suggest considering bringing it under the umbrella of the Open Source
Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo).
Details about OSGeo incubation here:
http://www.osgeo.org/incubator

On 30/10/2014 1:08 am, Doug Rinckes wrote:
> I'm an engineer at Google, and I have just open sourced a geo project
> we've been working on for a while.
>
> I used to work on our maps, detecting missing road networks and in my
> spare time mapping roads in Papua New Guinea, Central and West Africa
> from the satellite imagery. But without street names or addresses, a
> road network isn't all that useful. People can't use it for
> directions, because they can't express where they want directions to.
> After talking with colleagues from around the world, I discovered
> that's it actually very common for streets to be unnamed.
>
> We thought that we should provide short codes that could be used like
> addresses, to give the location of homes, businesses, anything. If we
> made them usable from smartphones, we can make addresses for anywhere
> available to anyone with a smartphone pretty much immediately.
>
> We had some specific requirements, including that these address codes
> should work offline, they shouldn't spell words or include easily
> confused characters. We wanted to be able to look at two codes and
> tell if they are near each other, and estimate the direction and even
> the distance. The codes should not be generated by a single provider,
> because what do you do when they disappear? Finally, it had to be open
> sourced.
>
> Open sourcing the project was important. We wanted to allow everyone
> to evaluate it so that we don't go implementing something that turns
> out to not be useful. If it does turn out to be useful, everyone
> (including other mapping providers) should be able to implement it and
> use the codes freely.
>
> I'm pre-announcing this to a couple of geo lists today, and I'll be
> sticking around for comments and questions. The following links
> provide more information:
>
> Github project: https://github.com/google/open-location-code
> Demonstration website: http://plus.codes <http://plus.codes/>
> Discussion list: