[OSGeo-Discuss] Free GIS Day November 6, 2014 OSGéo - IGEAT (ULB) – Brussels (Belgium)

Maelle Vercauteren mavercau at ulb.ac.be
Fri Sep 12 09:38:56 PDT 2014

Hi Dirk, our event details are below :

BE-OPENGIS-FR
November 6, 2014
Université Libre de Bruxelles

The Institute of Environmental Management and Spatial Planning (IGEAT) of
the Free University of Brussels (ULB) and OSGeo-fr are organising the
BE-OpenGIS-FR on November 6, 2014 at the ULB.

This day of conferences and practice sessions (in French) is aimed at
anyone using free and open source GIS tools in their professional life or
studies. We hope to gather together those scientists, administrations,
private companies and interested individuals using and/or developing these
tools, or just being curious about them.

The first part of the day will cover three topics in the form of
presentations:

1) State and perspectives of public OpenData in the three Belgian regions
and in Africa

2) Presentation of some selected free and open source tools in GIS
including the possibilities of integrating them into existing proprietary
infrastructures

3) Examples of concrete applications using free and open source GIS tools

Presenters come from administrations, private companies and academics
active in the field.

The second part of the day is dedicated to practical workshops and
demonstrations on topics such as

- Using QGIS to create your customized, tailor-made application
- Spatial analysis and cartography with R
- A toolchain for putting your maps on the Web
- Advanced spatial analysis with GRASS 7

The aim of the day is to inform and promote, but also to discuss current
issues and needs as well as reflect on the opportunity of building up a
community of FOSS-GIS users and contributors in Belgium.

For more information contact Moritz Lennert (moritz.lennert at ulb.ac.be).
A website will be up and running soon at http://be-opengis.ulb.ac.be/.

>  Hi Maelle,
>
> Using the name "FOSS4G-Be" is no problem for activities related with the
> promotion and use of FOSS4G software.
> In 2013 I organized the OSGeoGhent event [1] and wanted to organize a
> second version in May this year.
>
> The Global FOSS4G conference will start next week in Portland [2], so if
> you could provide more details later this week about the venue and the
> right date, we can announce the event on the general assemblee of OSGeo
> next week.
>
> Will the event be in English or in French?
>
> Regards,
> Dirk Frigne
>

> [1] http://www.geomajas.org/osgeogent2013
> [2] https://2014.foss4g.org/
>

> On 01-09-14 17:57, Maelle Vercauteren wrote:
>
>  Dear,
>
> I am contacting you about the potential use of the name “FOSS4G-Be” and
> about the participation of OSGeo-fr for a future freeGIS day in Belgium
> (Website and Event):
>
> We want to organize a French OSGeo event (the so called FOSS4G-Be) in
> early November 2014, in relation with the GIS courses and masterclass held
> at the Université Libre de Bruxelles, IGEAT research Unit:
> It will be a one day event. There will be a selection of plenary
> communication related to free SIG use in public or private environment and
> 2 or 3 practical workshops.
>
> This event will cover the following 3 topics:
>
> 1) FOSS4G tools/software: Establishment/creation or storage of
> infrastructure and web sharing of spatial data
> 2) Data & Services: Presentation on the freely available data and services
> 3) Applications: use of Open GIS (also with guest speakers from the South)
>

> Would you be willing to support us and work together on this project and
> could we use the name “FOSS4G-Be”?
>
> Could the event be co-organized by the ULB and OSGeo-fr?
> If so, it would be nice to have an OSGeo-fr stand with a representative of
> the association and of its activities (as well as a plenary presentation if
> you are interested in).
>

> Feel free to contact me if you have questions or if you would like to
> share your suggestions.
>

> Thank you in advance for your reply,
>

> Kind regards,
>  Maë//e
>
> --
> Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
> Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres CUD
>
> Université Libre de Bruxelles - IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)
> Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
> B-1050 Bruxelles
> Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143

> Yours sincerely,
>

> ir. Dirk Frigne
> CEO
>
> Geosparc n.v.