[OSGeo-Discuss] Hacking OSGeo

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Mon Sep 15 10:59:23 PDT 2014

Jeff,
I believe that Daniel is actually right in what he says - given that I
understand the point he is trying to make. There are differences
between OSGeo and LocationTech and trying to talk them away will not
get us anywhere. And its not "bad" or "goo" either way, we just
operate differently.

The point is that in OSGeo you cannot move anything at all as a
business, not directly. In LocationTech you become a corporate member,
pay money and in return have influence over certain things and get
support. Directly geared towards your specific needs. OSGeo does none
of those things.

As an individual (with or without business) you can become the
committee chair and an OSGeo officer with absolutely no preconditions,
no money needed, no organizational backing and no other hierarchy.
Just because othes think you are doing a cool job and have accumulated
enough merit to go ahead as a leader. This would not work in this way
in LocationTech.

Both ways have reasons to exist and are good. Right?

Cheers.
Arnulf