[OSGeo-Discuss] Hacking OSGeo

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 18:48:18 PDT 2014

I don't get it, and my question is moot at this point in time, but why do
we need a new foundation? Why couldn't OSGeo have provided what
LocationTech purports to provide? Was there any discussion, or awareness,
in the OSGeo board prior to the formation of LocationTech?

Rich

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> Arnulf,
>
> I definitely agree that both foundations fill a role and need to exist.
>
> The point I am trying to make is that we have the power to change OSGeo,
> if we feel some needs are not being met well.
>
> I used too strong of words again, I am sorry.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2014-09-15 2:59 PM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

>> Jeff,
>> I believe that Daniel is actually right in what he says - given that I
>> understand the point he is trying to make. There are differences
>> between OSGeo and LocationTech and trying to talk them away will not
>> get us anywhere. And its not "bad" or "goo" either way, we just
>> operate differently.
>>
>> The point is that in OSGeo you cannot move anything at all as a
>> business, not directly. In LocationTech you become a corporate member,
>> pay money and in return have influence over certain things and get
>> support. Directly geared towards your specific needs. OSGeo does none
>> of those things.
>>
>> As an individual (with or without business) you can become the
>> committee chair and an OSGeo officer with absolutely no preconditions,
>> no money needed, no organizational backing and no other hierarchy.
>> Just because othes think you are doing a cool job and have accumulated
>> enough merit to go ahead as a leader. This would not work in this way
>> in LocationTech.
>>
>> Both ways have reasons to exist and are good. Right?
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Arnulf

>>> Daniel this statement is not true, regarding OSGeo.  OSGeo members
>>> are made up of all walks of life, and many are running private
>>> businesses all around the world.  I have visited their
>>> organizations/offices myself in my FOSS4G travels throughout the
>>> years.
>>>
>>> However I cannot change how you feel.
>>>
>>> This part is unfortunate, these strong statements made publicly,
>>> which I feel are made to divide our community.
>>>
>>> Let me reinforce: our OSGeo community and our FOSS4G events (of
>>> all sizes) are geared for everyone and anyone, with no sole focus
>>> on one type of community.  And as the President of OSGeo, I am
>>> happy to represent all of the members, of any kind :)
>>>
>>> -jeff

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com