[OSGeo-Discuss] Hacking OSGeo

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Tue Sep 16 08:22:02 PDT 2014

Jeff, Everyone

I'd like to try using a metaphor in case it might help.

Imagine FOSS4G as an open source library. Rather than create a new
library that does pretty much the same thing, many feel that a single
vibrant library in this case is the best thing for the ecosystem.
Hopefully this is seen as pretty reasonable so far.

There are different models for open source. Some models are open to all
& try hard to keep a level playing field. In this models people can
comfortably contribute knowing that their efforts benefit everyone. In
this model, it's open to everyone including parties that might be
competitors elsewhere.

Other models are pretty unfair, such as when a company requires
copyright assignment to the company, only allows employees to influence
the roadmap, and uses a strong license like the GPL. Under such
circumstances, that company has a strong advantage over anyone else. For
one example, they are the only ones that can offer a non-GPL license
version of the software.

For the past 10 years, different groups were welcome to contribute to
our  FOSS4G library. After their contributions were sufficient, they got
to participate in influencing the roadmap for the library. Some groups
only had the capacity to contribute a little, some a lot.

I believe this is what we're talking about. LocationTech would like to
contribute in a fair way and participate in the roadmap too, just as
others have done. Everyone wins if this can happen. I'm very happy to
talk about governance and how we can do things fairly, openly,
transparently, and make sure everyone is comfortable.

If what you're telling me is that FOSS4G is not open source, but instead
proprietary then I've made a mistake and it wasn't the FOSS4G I thought
it was all these years.

Does this make sense?

Andrew