[OSGeo-Discuss] Hacking OSGeo

Jeroen Ticheler jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net
Wed Sep 17 10:47:29 PDT 2014

Hi Jachym, Andrew and others,

Most of what you wrote below Jachym sounds good. I've written an email [1] about the FOSS4G trademark to the board and conference list and feel that the way the FOSS4G NA 2015 now uses the FOSS4G trademark, with OSGeo and LocationTech as "equal" collaborators, does indeed injustice to this. It should IMO indeed be something like "Hosted by OSGeo, organised in collaboration with LocationTech". My vote at this stage(!) would be No and No to Andrews questions.

That said, I'm convinced the two entities are very complimentary and can learn a lot from each other and collaborate intensively. OSGeo should serve its business supporters better, LocationTech could do with a stronger "community atmosphere". If both do a good job, the whole community will benefit tremendously. It could result in a global annual event and many local ones that serve the different communities from grassroots to corporate (Sounds silly to separate people in groups though).

Thanks,
Jeroen

1[ http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2014-September/012113.html ]