[OSGeo-Discuss] free software for transport planning

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Fri Sep 19 07:51:38 PDT 2014

Hi Robert,
Thank you for those references.
As a Metropolitan Transport Authority we need to create macro public transport models to simulate, analyse and plan the transport network and services provided to the city population.
PTV and other providers, offer very efficient software tools to help on those dificult and complex tasks. But they are based on closed source software licenses that we, beeing a public administration, should avoid and look for open and free equivalent solutions.After a short query I've been able to find several aplications (see below).
But I am relative new on this particulary transport area, so I don't know much about those alternatives. I really appreciate any recomendations from who already used some of these:

- Simulation of Urban MObility
http://sumo-sim.org/userdoc/Sumo_at_a_Glance.html#About

- Multi-Agent Transport Simulation (MATSIM)

http://www.matsim.org/

- Open Source Sustainable Transport Informatics Platform (OSSTIP)
http://www.appropedia.org/OSSTIP:_Open_Source_Sustainable_Transport_Informatics_Platform

- Transportation Analysis and Simulation System (TRANSIMS)
https://code.google.com/p/transims/

There are several listing on this subjetct, with many other solutions:

https://sites.google.com/site/cosiopentransportation//home/open-source
http://streetswiki.wikispaces.com/Web+2.0+-+Recommendations+for+Transport+Planning+Applications

Thank you in advance.
Cheers,