[OSGeo-Discuss] forestry at OSGeo

Lime, Steve D (MNIT) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Tue Sep 23 07:07:58 PDT 2014

MapServer came out of the University of Minnesota - Department of Forest Resources. One big reason was the widespread use of Landsat (and GIS in general) for inventory purposes. Forestry, at least in MN, was quick to embrace spatial technologies. Landsat in particular was at just the right resolution (spatial, radiometric) for that discipline.

Steve