[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo welcomes 13 students for Google Summer of Code 2015

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 23:56:09 PDT 2015

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Geospatial Community,

OSGeo is glad to welcome the 13 accepted students and their mentors for
OSGeo GSoC 2015!

We received 37 proposals from a variety of geospatial projects. Despite the
lower total number of proposals received compared to former years, the
overall quality was high, so our choice has been a difficult task.
Eventually we appointed the following proposals:

1) GDAL:  Faza Mahamood - Integration of GDAL utilities into GDAL core
library
2) GRASS GIS: Matej Krejci - Improved Metadata for GRASS
3) gvSIG: Eva Rodríguez - Port Network Analysis Extension to gvSIG 2.x
branch
4) istSOS: Ambrosini Luca - Scalability for Big data processing for istSOS
5) JGRASSTOOLS: Silvia Franceschi - Development of a simple 1D hydraulic
model for JGRASSTOOLS
6) MapServer: Samuel Lapointe - Add productivity tools to MapServer's
ScribeUI
7) Opticks: Tom Van den Eynde - Image Enhancement/Background Suppression
for Opticks
8) OTP: Nipuna Gunathilake - GTFS-Realtime validation tool for Open Trip
Planner
9) OSGeo-Live: Massimo Di Stefano - Integration of geospatial OSS in
educational notebooks
10) OSSIM: Martina Di Rita - OSSIM tool for DSM generation using tri-stereo
and SAR imagery
11) pgRouting: Sarthak Agarwal - New osm2pgrouting import tool to import
OpenStreetMap(OSM)data in pgRouting
12) PyWPS: Calin Ciociu - REST interface for PyWPS 4
13) QGIS: Marcus Santos - Multithread support on QGIS Processing toolbox

Congratulations to all accepted students!

We are proud of the geographical variety of countries from which our
students come from and live, including: Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic,
India, Italy, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain and Sri Lanka.
The list of software projects includes OSGeo (official and incubating) and
like-minded projects - let GSoC be a "gathering of tribes", an occasion to
improve communication among all geospatial open source initiatives.

See the list of OSGeo accepted proposals also here:
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2015/osgeo
We wish all students and mentors a great summer!

Madi and Anne
OSGeo GSoC Admins 2015

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.