[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4GNA - Someone is watching you :-o

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 15:05:26 PST 2015

I can provide an update - but I am not sure what is interesting. Most of
the things LocationTech does are advertised here on the discussion list (if
they are an event <https://www.locationtech.org/events>) or via twitter
(for news <https://www.locationtech.org/news>).

Most communication in LocationTech (just like with OSGeo) is focused on
projects and committers. There is a monthly meeting of project leads for
example. This is where I am involved personally, with the primary goal of
getting some official project releases made. LocationTech has a few new
members this year (which is great but I am more interested in what projects
they bring to the table).

LocationTech has been doing a good job of outreach activities. LocationTech
participates in a number of conferences, sometimes as an organizer
sometimes as an attendee. They key event is the "LocationTech Tour" which
visits a number of cities and always has a mix of OSGeo and LocationTech
content.

I guess you are asking about what is happening between OSGeo and
LocationTech:

* There was a code sprint in Philadelphia with a mix of OSGeo and
LocationTech projects
* The LocationTech Tour has been well attended. We had a great event here
in Victoria highlighting GeoServer, PostGIS, Torque, QGIS, GeoGig. It was
for some students there first non ESRI experience with mapping software. I
wrote a blog post
<http://www.how2map.com/2015/10/locationtech-tour-2015.html> on that one
* FOSS4G NA 2015 was a joint conference earlier in the year - this was well
covered by blogs
* Other than that there is lots of casual collaboration between projects,
but nothing official (but I hope to fix that next year)

When wrote up what I wanted to do as an OSGeo board member one of my goals
is to improve collaborations (such as this one with LocationTech) so we can
better make use of our resources as a community.

I have done a couple of talks comparing
<http://www.slideshare.net/jgarnett/foundation-comparison-53674364> the two
organizations - but the real message there is advocating for responsible
open source development (OSGeo and LocationTech are just a couple of the
organizations available to help projects play safe on the internet).

I guess I am not quite sure what you are looking for Steve?

--
Jody Garnett