[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Privacy Policy

Andrea Ross andrea.ross at eclipse.org
Fri Dec 18 07:43:44 PST 2015

Dear Gert-Jan, Everyone

I would be happy to comment on contact list practice at the Eclipse
Foundation in case it is helpful.

Before I do, I would like to say I am heartened to see the responses
saying enough LocationTech bashing. It was past the point of absurd &
destructive for a while. So thank you.

Note that I am not a lawyer, and this is not formal legal advice. I will
comment on practice at the Eclipse Foundation.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, for many of the things like the code
of conduct, privacy policy, and so forth, OSGeo really should explicitly
run them by a lawyer and periodically get legal advice to make sure they
reflect current practice/precedent/legislation.

The Eclipse Foundation contacts recent past attendees of conferences in
a given region in the understanding they are interested customers. We
use Mailchimp as it seems to be one of the better tools these days. Like
Paul shared, we used different tools in the past, and will use different
tools in the future no doubt.

As a personal note... I have been getting emails about FOSS4G events
since 2007. They are normal. I understand why they are emailing me and I
support and feel it's a good thing also.

Regarding the FOSS4G NA list we used for the recent email. Some emails
were provided to us from past events held in North America. It was our
understanding they were past attendees/interested people/
customers/people who opted in. As Rob said, we apologize if there were
people on that list who shouldn't have been and thus had to unsubscribe.
For what it's worth, only half a percent of people on the list have
unsubscribed... and you can guess who from this email discussion thread.

No emails passed to us have been incorporated into any other lists we
maintain. They have been strictly used for FOSS4G NA only, and
sparingly.... just 4 emails so far over 2 years and strictly related to
the key/most important conference announcements.

We have also used a number of explicit opt-in contacts from
LocationTech. There are 120K+ people who explicitly signed up to receive
our monthly newsletter. We promote the conference once or twice to it as
well for example.

Hope this helps,

Andrea