[OSGeo-Discuss] Great momentum for our "Openness in Geoeducation" mission

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon Jan 26 01:37:04 PST 2015

> Hi Paulo,
>
> You made an important point. I will inform the course organisors to include some information and slides in the program on how the students (and also faculty) can contribute and get involved not only in QGIS but also in OSGeo. I am hopeful that a good proportion of the students will contribute back (from helping documentation to translating there are lot of opportunity to contribute). The most important message that students should learn is the importance of Openness in Education and sharing knowledge for the benifit of the wider society.  Everyone can play an important role in this.
>
> Also this is part of our "Train the Trainer" strategy so it will have a multiplier effect over time.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Suchith

Absolutely agreed, it's great to teach not just about a nice tool but
also about the community behind it, that this is not just a piece of
software to learn. At the end yes, methodologies are the most
important thing to learn on the scientific part  (tools as a means,
not an end by themselves) but the social part of Open Source
development can have its own place on the curriculum.

Thanks Paolo for raising the point.

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org