[OSGeo-Discuss] Which web project supports clipping/intersection?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jul 16 00:39:53 PDT 2015

On 16/07/15 06:15, Brad Hards wrote:
>> Is there a javascript library that can perform basic geoprocessing on
>> > geoJSON features?
> Can I suggest that you don't want to do that on the client side, unless you're
> really trying to build a javascript GIS application. Why pull a lot of data
> and then toss it?
>
> If possible, do a smart query on the server side. There are a few ways to do
> this, but Web Processing Service (WPS) and making the server proxy those
> operations into the service side database would be some things to investigate.

The break between client and server side is an interesting one, but a
blanket 'you don't want to do that on the client side' nowadays is a
little out of sync with machine capabilities especially when one adds in
local caching?

A custom client side application like OSMAND which builds the local
display off-line and can pull additional information as required is one
extreme, but one is encumbered with a central view of how the interface
should look. A web based alternative would be nice and then one could
highlight and filter material based on current personal requirements
rather than having to rely so much on pre-existing rendering. Yes the
subset of data needs selecting server side which will clip the raw data,
but then allowing the client side to alter or animate the display makes
perfect sense. Or am I missing some thing here? Selecting a boundary and
displaying the material within that boundary does not necessarily need a
round trip back to the server?

Personally I find the vast number of options available a little
overwhelming with nothing seeming to stand out as the best choice.
Perhaps a little consolidation would be an advantage ... other options
have already appeared on this thread ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL