[OSGeo-Discuss] FYI - 2010 article on "viewpoints on 2007-2013" for geospatial communities in Italy

Andrea Giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 01:39:33 PDT 2015

Hi -

In Italian an expression passed from the Romagna dialect to national use
after Federico Fellini made his "Amarcord" movie.

Amarcord is the mis-spelling of "*a m'arcord"* , which means "I
recall"....in Italy you will term something "amarcord" when somebody is
re-proposing things that related to past -and generally perceived as
better- times...

So, possibly in the combination of a recent FOSS4G-EU in Italy, and in the
announcement of an upcoming session by GFOSS.it in the next ASITA
conference in Italy (ASITA is the "mother of all GIS conferences" in our
country), I fished out from my memories an article I wrote in 2010, in fact
during my transition phase from GFOSS.it to something new, which one year
later became Attivarti.org.

I thought the article may be of interest to OSGEO historians -I know a
couple- so I provided an English translation...not easy because of some
"word games" in the original version...I did my best

*:*
http://www.pibinko.org/in-between-the-cathedral-and-the-bazaar-points-of-view-on-freeopen-geographic-information-from-2007-to-2013/

Back in 2010 some of the main actors in the Italian geospatial arena told
me this was an interesting note, so I hope some of you will find it
interesting today.

Personally, it helped me to consider how things have changed compared to a
2010 "baseline", so it was definitely useful.

Best regards from Italy!

Andrea Giacomelli
http://www.pibinko.org

p.s. by the way: 2015 is much better than 2010, at least for the context I
can see, so this is not maybe so much of an "amarcord" case ;)