[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Standards] Discuss Digest, Vol 103, Issue 20

Carl Reed carl.n.reed at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:35:00 PDT 2015

Josh -

Nice viewpoint.

I would add that emergency response systems (at least the ones I have
worked standards for) use addresses and if there is not an address a mile
marker (on interstates for example) and if you are in a building an
address, floor, and room number. As a last resort a coordinate is used.
There are problems with the latter such as accuracy, lack of signal (inside
buildings) and so forth. While the Next Generation 911 system in the US
(and related systems in Europe, Canada, and Australia) is enhanced to deal
with the wireless mobile world and IPv6, addresses are still viewed as the
predominate form of location communication. Just check out the standards
stack as defined in the i3 architecture! Somehow I do not see a dispatcher
saying to a responding officer, "Shots fired at 103132" :-)

Regards

Carl

Carl Reed, PhD
Carl Reed and Associates