[OSGeo-Discuss] reminder for folks in the Milano, Italy, area: the next m(')appare event is coming

Andrea Giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 23:43:39 PDT 2015

Hello to all -

this weeks marks the kick-off for the next m(')appare campaign in Milano,
brought to you by Attivarti.org, friends and acquaintances.

The campaign is focused on the upper half of the landscape [0]

After a brief appearance at the World EXPO [1], the key event will be
Thursday evening at the LO-FI Club, in the Rogoredo area [2].

Here we will mix a playlist on environment, wine and food tasting with
stuff we are carrying today from Tuscany to Milano, and -eventually- open
source mapping and awareness raising on the value of night sky.

This event, is also inserted into the calendar of activities for the
International Year of Light [3].

One or two sensors will stay in the Milano area (we are checking out with
our local contacts for the best pick-up points), so that any milanese (or
non-milanese residing in the Milano area) may borrow one and take
measurements.

During the central part of August, with moon going from waning to new, it
will be easier to collect readings of night sky quality (call it light
pollution, if you will).

Between Sep. 10 and  Sep 21 the core m(')appare team will return to Milano
for another event (details to be announced as soon as we have the "go" from
the hosting organization).

The results of the activities taking place in Milano+surroundings will then
be presented in two international conference which Attivarti.org will
attend (Athens, Florence), and in a "wrap up" event we are organizing
"somewhere not over the rainbow" in November.

All the operation, designed and managed by Attivarti.org, takes place in
liaison with COST Action ES-1204 "Loss of the Night Network" [4], where
Attivarti.org is the main representative body for Italy, together with the
Biometeorology Institute of the National Research Council.

If you, or people you know in the Milano area, are interested to learn more
about the project or to collaborate, please write to mappare at attivarti.org

Many thanks for your attention, and best regards!

Andrea Giacomelli
http://www.pibinko.org
http://www.attivarti.org

[0]