[OSGeo-Discuss] Invitation to participate in the OSGeo membership consultations

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 17:07:11 PDT 2015

Hi Vassile,

This survey appears to be flawed.

I applaud your efforts to bring this issue to a head, but I'm not convinced
that we'll get valid results from the survey.

In my case:

I believe that there should be open membership for any interested, perhaps
with a membership fee.

I also see the value of recognising key contributors voted through some
meritocracy process as the current Charter Membership allows, with this
group having a voting responsibility. This is in essence not very different
from the concept of a 'committers' group within an open source project. I
don't really care if the name 'Charter Membership' is changed.

However the survey appears to lead people into a binary situation where
they believe in 'open' or 'closed' with 'closed' apparently assigned to
those favouring 'Charter Membership'.

For example:

I'd like to vote NO to 'Should OSGeo move from the actual elected Charter
member model to an (open) regular membership?'

But, YES to 'If you agree with the OSGeo regular membership, do you also
agree with a low annual membership fee?'

However, I'm precluded from doing so, because I answered NO to Q1.

For Question 4, I would like to answer both:

- YES for Open, in the context that everyone interested should be able to
participate in discussions and the OSGeo Community (perhaps having paid a
membership fee); and

- YES for 'Closed', in the context of key votes being subject to the
equivalent of a 'Committers' list where people have been voted in through
some meritocracy process.

- However, I can only choose one or the other!

I haven't read the remaining questions at this stage, given the flawed
questions at the beginning.

I apologise if you had sent this out for review earlier. I have not been
following this debate closely as this type of membership noise pops up on a
regular basis.

However, when this proceeds to a vote of the OSGeo Charter membership, I
need to register a comment.

For consideration.

Bruce