[OSGeo-Discuss] We won. It's time for OSGeo 2.0.

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jul 31 12:44:03 PDT 2015

Hi Michael,

While you make some good points, I think the need for something like OSGeo is
still relevant. It has effectively large and diverse initiatives and projects,
but having a common umbrella behind which to gather makes sense. For software
projects, being a OSGeo project means that you respect a number of rules
regarding licensing, governance, etc... OSGeo as a whole has also a voice that
can have some influence when a message must be said aloud. I'm not sure that
the impact of scattered projects could be strong enough. I also think to the
OSGeo-OGC MOU that gives the opportunity to individuals in the community to
benefit from seats at OGC. I think OSGeo has become a name by itself that
captures strong values.
I believe there's a perception bias: when something exists and you live in the
middle of it, you can somehow forget about its existence and necessity. But if
it was going to disappear, you would realize suddenly how crucial it is. A bit
like the oxygen you breathe :-)

What we do with it in the future is an open question.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com