[OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct Implementation Plan Was: Code of Conduct in Real Case

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Jun 24 09:58:08 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:27 AM, Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:
> Hey Jeff,
>
> if you truly feel this way, please put forward a motion on the next board meeting. This needs to be decided by the board as a whole I guess.
>
> Personally I’m not in favour of destroying all that good work, but I also understand the need to move forward. Where are those discussions happening right now?
>
> Best regards,
> Bart

At State of the Map US in New York there was a BoF on CoC next steps
and implementation.  Some of the results of that are on the wiki and
continuing there.  The direction may be to form an OSGeo Code of
Conduct Committee which would also have an email list.  It is still
being sorted out.

I agree with Bart, that all this work should not be discarded but
supported and refined into something that works.  Arbitrary deadlines
may or may not be helpful for that process and I took Jeff's comment
as at least half joke or at least not a real deadline.  In the worst
case, I see the appropriate action to be to add a note to the CoC that
it is aspirational as there is no process to report or respond to
reports and that help is needed to develop that.  I don't see
repealing or replacing the CoC as an appropriate action.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 7:46 AM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
> Hi Kate,
>
> I came up with a 1st September deadline in my head because I don't want the
> FOSS4G event to come along without some sort of way to handle reports.  We
> can ignore the deadline, but I wanted to let everyone know that a process is
> really needed, besides text on a webpage.   You and I and others were part
> of these offline implementation plan discussions, which were great, but I
> think it stalled when selecting the name of the committee.

FOSS4G 2015 was bid without a CoC and was not part of the contract
when signed.  Independently of the Conference Committee and Board, the
2015 LOC adopted a CoC, http://2015.foss4g.org/about/codeofconduct/
complete with contact information.

Sanghee, while OSGeo sorts out the details of CoC reporting and
implementation, you and the LOC have a conference to run.  The LOC
adopted a CoC and that is great.  I suggest that the LOC stick with
that and make plans to implement it.  The LOC could select 3-5 people
who are representative of the LOC and probable attendees to respond to
CoC reports.  Ideally those people are reasonable and have some skills
or experience dealing with difficult situations and work well with
people.  This group of people should decide on how to implement the
CoC (practicing on a list of hypothetical issues can be very helpful
thought exercise) and inform the rest of the LOC and train volunteers
where to direct issues.  This group of people could seek additional
resources through either OSGeo or other venues.

In the case of your slides, obviously you should not be involved in
deciding any action (if you are in the group that will implement the
CoC) and you and Charlie appear to have settled things between
yourselves, although in a public manner.

> Maybe what is best is if we move those private discussions to here, on this
> list.
>
> I do notice now that Camille has been recently adding to the initial wiki
> page for the possible committee:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/CodeOfConduct_Committee

Bart, this is currently probably the best place to continue.

> As noted in offline discussions, we can always create a new wiki page if we
> need to rename the committee.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2015-06-24 11:21 AM, Kate Chapman wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> I thought this comment deserved its own discussion. While I agree that
>> not having an implementation plan for the Code of Conduct is not
>> acceptable I view it as just as unacceptable to switch to a diversity
>> statement. When I registered for FOSS4G last week it was with the
>> understanding that OSGEO has adopted a Code of Conduct. If this is
>> simply switched to a diversity statement I will not be attending FOSS4G.
>> I am not the only women I know that would feel the same way.

Kate, thanks for bringing this issue out.  I mostly took Jeff's
statements as hyperbole intended to move the process forward and
ignored it.  But yes, it is serious, the solution to the problem of
reports is not to remove the ability to make reports but to build the
capacity to respond to reports.

>> I do not attend conferences without a Code of Conduct and some companies
>> do not sponsor conferences without a Code of Conduct.
>>
>> I will assist in the implementation, but I am not leading it. I am
>> willing to volunteer as a contact to assist people at FOSS4G if the
>> implementation plan includes the need for a contact person (which I
>> suspect it would).

You've already made great contributions to the work that has been
completed.  Thanks for that and your willingness to help further.  The
2015 LOC and others would be wise to take you up on your offer.

Best regards, Eli