[OSGeo-Discuss] [Local-chapters] Legal entities for Local Chapters

Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Sun Mar 22 10:24:42 PDT 2015

The same in the Netherlands; when organizing local events with more than 100 participants it's getting unpleasant to arrange the finances with your own personal bank account.

we had some discussion about with legal entity type to use: association (with members; in The Netherlands "vereniging") or foundation (without members, in the Netherlands "stichting"). Both have pro's and con's; an association has members, which make the bond with the community a bit tighter. On the other hand, it also required a bit more organisation, such as a yearly member assembly. That's why we choose the simple form (foundation) in the end. But of course, this may vary due to different laws in different countries.

Take into account that creating a formal legal entity probably will cost you some money (just once).

greetings from the Netherlands (although actually from Austria),

Gert-Jan

chairman of the dutch local chapter "Stichting OSGeo.nl"