[OSGeo-Discuss] Drafting a Diversity statement for the foundation (call for input)

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Mar 23 06:32:48 PDT 2015

Hi OSGeo community!

A few months ago the OSGeo Board of Directors began a short Diversity
Statement for the foundation.

To be fully honest and open, at the time there was a long "code of
conduct" discussion happening on the Conference Committee list, and I
felt that the OSGeo foundation itself should have a simple statement
saying that everyone's contributions are welcome, in a safe and
accepting environment.  (see my initial draft version[1])

Some members of the community have edited the page, and it has now been
expanded (see latest version [2]).

I'd again like to call for input ('input' being editing the wiki page
directly with your ideas) from those willing to help out.  And I do mean
everyone (some feel they must ask me directly for permission to edit the
page, which is not needed).

My goal is to again bring this for approval to the OSGeo Board at the
next Board meeting, and I have added this as a priority item in the
agenda, for the meeting on 9 April [3].

So I am asking for help here, for those passionate community members who
want to help with an open statement for the foundation.  You don't need
permission to jump in and edit (or, if you want to change the whole page
you can even create your own wiki page and propose that to the OSGeo
Board, you can even attend the OSGeo Board meeting virtually and speak
up during that agenda topic).  All options are possible.

Someone recently pointed me to the Fedora community's posting for a
"Diversity Advisor" [4].  I also noticed the QGIS conference has a nice
simple diversity statement (see bottom of [5]).  Very good.

Thanks for your help everyone.  If all goes well, I'd like to see a new
/Diversity page in a few weeks on osgeo.org.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Diversity&oldid=81445
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Diversity
[3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2015-04-09
[4] http://fedoramagazine.org/help-fedora-find-a-diversity-advisor/