[OSGeo-Discuss] Discussion on statement : avoiding slang. Was: Drafting a Diversity statement for the foundation (call for input)

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 00:53:57 PDT 2015

Dear Cameron, All,

thank you for your work on the diversity statement, I appreciate this
initiative of OSGeo.
I'm opening this thread to discuss one aspect of the statement, which is
language diversity.
The draft of the code of conduct currently reads:

"We have a multi-lingual community and are considerate toward non-native
speakers, such as by speaking clearly and avoiding slang."

I acknowledge the good intention behind this sentence, but as a non native
English speaker I don't feel comfortable with it.
I have some experience in living and working in a multi-language
environment, and one of the most enriching experience is to learn from my
peers about their languages and ways of expressing.
Personally, I don't feel as a barrier that a person uses expressions /
idioms / slang in their email, on the contrary, I would learn that. I
believe that the main goal of people writing in a public forum is to be
understood by the widest public, thus everyone, according to their command
of the language, will try to express themselves as best they can. On the
other hand, putting as a requirement that the English should be clear,
would forbid the expression of the people that are aware of their non
excellence in the language.

My 2 cents,
madi

--
Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.