[OSGeo-Discuss] new UN committee - call for members

Gregory Giuliani gregory.giuliani at unepgrid.ch
Wed Nov 4 23:51:28 PST 2015

Dear Jeff, Dear All,

Thanks a lot for this very interesting and useful initiative.

First of all, let me just introduce myself because I’m an OSGeo Member since a few years… but I was mostly silent (but reading with interest most of the emails on various OSGeo mailing lists).
My name is Gregory Giuliani. I’m a lecturer in Geomatics and Remote Sensing at the University of Geneva (Switzerland) and SDI office at UNEP/GRID-Geneva.
I’m actively involved in GEO/GEOSS and I’m the leading the UNIGE/Geo For All lab (http://www.unige.ch/tigers/en/autres-reseaux/geoforall/). Both at the University and GRID-Geneva we are using various FOSS solutions.

I will be more than happy to contribute to this new committee.

To follow Werner Leyh and Vivien Deparday emails, I agree with them that “disaster management” is an important topic to cover.
At the GRID-Geneva, we have developed the “Global Risk Data Platform”: http://preview.grid.unep.ch
It is entirely based on FOSS solutions. We present the platform and its architecture in this paper: http://www.nat-hazards-earth-syst-sci.net/11/53/2011/nhess-11-53-2011.html
The platform has been develop to support UNISDR Global Assessment Reports on Disaster Risk Reduction.

I take also the opportunity to suggest another “hot topic" related to the UN. It concerns the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org
Related to that, in August 2014 UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon asked an Independent Expert Advisory Group to make concrete recommendations on bringing about a data revolution in sustainable development. This is the Data Revolution Group: http://www.undatarevolution.org
And I’m sure that OSGeo has a role to play within this arena :-)

Looking forward to collaborate with all of you and happy to join the team.

Best regards

Greg

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:21:25 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Werner Leyh <wernerleyh at yahoo.com>
> To: osgeo <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>,  Jeff McKenna
> 	<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>
> Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] new UN committee - call for members
>
> Hi Jeff, Hi Jeroen, Hi Venka, Hi all
>
> With regard to the work package “disaster managment”, covered by www.unisdr.org/ ,
> the following “UNISDR Science and Technology Conference  on the implementation of the
> Sendai Framework  for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030” could be important for us:
> http://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/events/45270
>
> The event will take place on 27-29 January 2016 in Geneva, Switzerland.
>
> Of course, there are many other UN activities where FOSS could be very useful.
> Nevertheless, disaster management is an important point with links to main other areas.
> “Link Open Data” approaches with “crowd sourced data” will surely an important point.
>
> Submission of abstracts is still possible till 30 November 2015.
> Werner

> On Sat, 10/31/15, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] new UN committee - call for members
> To: "osgeo" <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
> Date: Saturday, October 31, 2015, 12:18 PM
>
> Thanks Jeroen, Venka, and everyone
> that already signed up as members
> (wow, great).  I'm waiting on the new mailing list to
> be created, then
> we can start planning there.  Venka: I had spoken with
> Kyoung-Soo Eom
> yesterday and he is very happy to hear of the new committee,
> I will
> definitely add him to the new mailing list so we can all
> collaborate there.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2015-10-31 7:50 AM, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
>> Hi Jeff,
>> Great initiative, I've just signed up to the
> committee.
>> Cheers,
>> Jeroen
>>
>> GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of
> data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and
> GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details.
>> _________________________
>> Jeroen Ticheler
>> GeoCat bv
>> Veenderweg 13
>> 6721 WD Bennekom
>> Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572
>> http://geocat.net
>>
>>> Op 30 okt. 2015 om 20:58 heeft Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>
> het volgende geschreven:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> At the last OSGeo board meeting we agreed to form a
> new committee, focused on the UN/United Nations.  I
> have drafted an initial wiki page for the committee, that
> gives some background.  Please, if you are interested
> in helping promote Open Source geospatial at the UN with its
> members states, definitely add your name to the wiki
> [...]

---
Dr. Gregory Giuliani
Lecturer - Spatial Data Infrastructure
http://www.unige.ch/envirospace/People/giuliani.html
University of Geneva
Institute for Environmental Sciences/enviroSPACE
66 Boulevard Carl-Vogt, CH - 1205 GENEVE
Phone: (+41 22) 379 07 09 Fax: (+41 22) 379 07 44
Web: http://www.unige.ch/envirospace
Email: gregory.giuliani at unige.ch
UNEP/DEWA/GRID-Geneva
International Environment House
11 chemin des Anémones, CH - 1219 CHATELAINE
Phone: (+41 22) 917 84 17 Fax: (+41 22) 917 80 29
Web: http://www.grid.unep.ch
Email: gregory.giuliani at unepgrid.ch