[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Nov 13 04:07:30 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 11:39:22AM +0100, Andrea Ross wrote:

> It is the viral nature of the GPL & AGPL that keeps projects using
> those licenses out if LocationTech & Eclipse for now.

It is actually LocationTech and Eclipse keeping those projects
out, not any "virus". There's no prescription in GPL and AGPL
licenses preventing you from distributing the code.

The only thing you can not do, with GPL and AGPL, is distributing
the code while not also distributing the freedom that came with it.
Is that something LocationTech and Eclipse are planning to do ?

Please do not spread use of the term "virus" in association with
free software. Last I checked every software virus was proprietary.

For a more appropriate terminology, please refer to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

--strk;