[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Nov 13 08:07:31 PST 2015

OSGeo vs LocationTech debate aside, I would like to point out that there
are lots of people who make the choice of non-reciprocal licenses over
reciprocal ones, and it is not by "fear" or because they misunderstand
the way FOSS licenses work, it for other reasons that I don't ask
pro-freedom people to agree with.

I for one have been making a living around FOSS for 20 years, and have
contributed thousands of lines of codes myself and through people that I
hired to work on various open source projects, and have my own reasons
why I think that non-reciprocal is better. It is not because of fear or
misunderstanding, it is for my own reasons and I do not force anyone to
agree with me. The only thing that matters is that in the end some open
source projects were better thanks to our contributions.

It would be great if we could all be more respectful of the position of
other community members and avoid suggesting that they are wrong in
their choices just because they view things from a different angle.

Thank you all, and let's hope we can see more positive discussions
around here

Daniel

P.S. I also don't think that OSGeo, LocationTech or any other org can
claim ownership of the "value of a community" of individuals, but I
won't step into this debate since that is just a waste of time and energy.