[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

Andrea Ross andrea.ross at eclipse.org
Sun Nov 15 09:48:16 PST 2015

On 13/11/15 15:42, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 13 November 2015 at 14:24, Jeff McKenna
> <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>> why would you create a separate
>> foundation with the exact same goals, and then later come back to the other
>> foundation saying "no, we love you.  Give us the right to run your event".
> Bang!
>
> Jeff, thank you.
>
> Best regards,

Jeff, Mateusz

I have answered this in my other email but I'll repeat here too in case
it's helpful. LocationTech was founded, by many of the same founders and
champions of OSGeo, to fill a gap. It has done a pretty good job of
this. A bunch of what it does, isn't getting done elsewhere and is
needed. None of this was intended to harm OSGeo in any way, and so far
as I can see, hasn't even after 3 years. Feel free to provide any
evidence you can offer to the contrary.

People can and do participate in both OSGeo & LocationTech all the
time.  This is a good thing. It absolutely isn't a zero sum scenario.
The mutually reinforce each other rather than detract from one another.

Apache existed before OSGeo so the same argument could be used there.
While I can see how it plays to emotions, I'm not sure it's a useful
argument.

Andrea