[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Mon Nov 16 02:30:42 PST 2015

Andrea,

> Your email is incorrect and very misleading unfortunately.

Is to easy as a statement to reply Daniel's mail[1], but I don't agree
as I don't see your point. I think Daniel is right in his analysis, and
so is his mail.

OSGeo is all about individual members, and there are no legal entities
represented at the board. Sponsors are welcomed and can promote their
activities on events like FOSS4G, but are not part of the board, and
take no part in the decision making process.
One of the strong differentiating elements in the vision of OSGeo is the
financial focus:

"OSGeo has never been about generating revenue.  OSGeo is and will be
about being the Open Source geospatial community, sharing, learning, and
having fun.  OSGeo will continue to be lean, earning enough funding to
help its annual FOSS4G and other events, maintain OSGeo's
infrastructure, and other critical needs.  The OSGeo foundation will
continue to be volunteer driven." - (from Vision of OSGeo - as stated by
Jeff [2])

I think Jeff has expressed it very well: OSGeo is all about community.

LT is all (IMHO) about adopting open source for Geo in the software
industry.

As OSGeo is promoting open source, this is a good initiative, and is
supportered by OSGeo, but OSGeo and LT are 2 different organisations and
this should stay so.

The difference between a community driven organisation and LT: once
business is involved, we talk about differences, competition, being
smarter better, more efficient than others. So, to accomplish this, LT
does not accept all open source, only those with a certain license
model. (see [3]) And this is not bad, nor good, but certainly not OSGeo.
And it is fine that key persons of OSGeo are taking the initiative to
found LT or Geo4All or whatever new initiative promoting OSS. But that
does not make that new initiative OSGeo.

I am sure other industry initiatives will emerge with other perspectives
and views. And they will be good initiatives too, and OSGeo will support
them hopefully also, because OSGeo is not about industry or education or
business or users, OSGeo is IMHO the drive behind the whole Geo
ecosystem. OSGeo is the OSGeo community.

my 2c

Dirk

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@lists.osgeo.org/msg13501.html
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@lists.osgeo.org/msg13488.html
[3] https://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@lists.osgeo.org/msg13451.html

On 16-11-15 01:35, Andrea Ross wrote:
> On 15/11/15 23:20, Daniel Kastl wrote:
>>

>>> People can and do participate in both OSGeo & LocationTech all the
>>> time.  This is a good thing. It absolutely isn't a zero sum
>>> scenario. The mutually reinforce each other rather than detract

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc

Geosparc n.v.