[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo guidelines for code hosting ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Oct 17 01:22:56 PDT 2015

Given the number of OSGeo projects that are moving their code outside
of OSGeo infrastructure, Mateusz Loskot on IRC suggested to include
guidelines about what is or ins't accepted as a code repository
hosting for OSGeo projects.

An example of a similar guideline is the recent document published by
the FSF about the criteria to consider a code hosting repository
acceptable for a GNU project:

 https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html

That document identifies different ethical levels,
from acceptable to use to excellent.

The acceptable level focuses on the usability of the hosting site
with only free software tools. I hadn't made the excercise of trying
github against those requirements (as the definition includes
disabling javascript unless it is also free software, which I dubt
is the case with GitHub), but chances are it *might* be considered
acceptable.

Of course the ethical criteria is orthogonal to the strategic
arguments about having code hosted on or off OSGeo infrastructure.

--strk;