[OSGeo-Discuss] Renaming FOSS4G

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Oct 6 15:08:29 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
> We really should have just gone with GeoBonkers' Meeting back then. It
> speaks to me on so many levels.

 I'm not sure we want bonking at OSGeo events...

> In all seriousness though, I think changing the name now that everyone has
> gotten used to it and knows what it means is not a good use of anybody's
> time.

 You've missed my point by saying "everyone has gotten used to it".
Really, "everyone"? This is an introverted point of view of the OSGeo
community. Yes, you and I and everyone *on this mailing list* knows
the difference and the relationship between OSGeo and FOSS4G. But
there are people out there in geospatial who don't know either. They
are the people we have to reach out to. And its those people to whom I
hypothesise that "OSGeo" is a better branding than "FOSS4G". But I'm
not sure the effort to verify this hypothesis (surveys, focus groups)
is worth it. But my intuition is that it is.

 The pattern of calling the annual conference of organisation Foo,
"The Foo Conference" is quite well established in many fields.

> OSGEO is the Go To for all your FOSS4G needs.

As they say, "GoTo Considered Harmful"...

Barry