[OSGeo-Discuss] Renaming FOSS4G

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Oct 12 09:21:20 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Marco Negretti
<marco.negretti at polimi.it> wrote:

> I think that rename the conference is the worst thing that we can do:
> ten years of history trashed!

 I now regret not putting "please refrain from hyperbole" in my
original posting. It's clearly not "the worst thing we could do". It
would not "trash ten years of history".

 If the powers that be decided to change the name, I'd suggest that
"formerly FOSS4G" was prominent on the web site for a couple of years
for the new conferences. Continuity with the past is important and not
impossible after a name change. Previous conferences would still
appear as FOSS4G. No trashing of history.

 As I think the thread on OSGeo's relevance has made clear [1], change
seems to be happening - although that's a truism - but if we want to
keep up with the change going on around us then the one thing we
mustn't fear is change, no more than I fear the change in the colour
of the leaves I see outside my window. New name, new launch, new
people, new potential.

Barry

[1]  https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-September/014912.html
(note thread goes off-topic into chatter about github/trac/svn pretty
quickly...