[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo sponsors ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Oct 14 08:50:12 PDT 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 16:20, Barry Rowlingson
<b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
>
>> The tone was "suprised" and "disappointed".
>>
>> Does advertising proprietary software solutions
>> on OSGeo website count as "championing" for its cause ?
>> I wouldn't expect that from my Open Source Compass.
>>
>> Or am I being misleaded by the lack of info on the net about
>> the software names found on that osgeo page ?
>
>  Proprietary software companies are big users of open source geo. Many
> of them give back in different ways - some by developing open source
> software alongside their proprietary code, some by patching and
> contributing to community projects, and some by throwing money at us
> [1].

Yes, indeed.

It may be also worth to observe the differences between FOSS vs OSS,
and that there is no mention of "Free" on the http://www.osgeo.org front page.
Please, notice there is OSI, not FSF, logo on
http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/about.html.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net