[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo guidelines for code hosting ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sun Oct 18 03:08:15 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 08:41:12AM +0200, Andrea Aime wrote:

> In particular, looking at GeoServer experience from the switch, it's rather
> evident we got more people contributing right the moment we did the
> switch, here is the contributors per month diagram, the red line
> is the date we switched from svn to GitHub:

How does that diagram counts contributors ?

With SVN it's very unlikely that a bot can recognize contributors
other than the committers, while with GIT it's easier to make the
actual contributor visible to a machine (being there an "author"
field in addition to the "committer" field).

I'm not trying to negate the possible benefits in terms of number
of contributors, but I'd be careful about the correctess of available
data.

> There is another benefit of moving to Github, which is build checks on pull
> requests,

Yes, this is something we unfortunately lost on OSGeo.
We used to have buildbot running to that extent, but lack of volunteers
made that experience come to an end.

--strk;