[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo guidelines for code hosting ?

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 03:34:57 PDT 2015

Hi Andreas,

There is already an OSGeo account on GitHub, managed by SAC members:
https://github.com/OSGeo

This discussion started 6 months ago on IRC, during the OSGeoLive
transition to Git.
Since there was no git.osgeo.org setup at the time, we decided to
temporarily host OSGeoLive git repository there, waiting for an official
OSGeo hosting option. We are still using OSGeo Trac as a ticketing system.

I see the benefits that Andrea mentioned, and I believe that even if the
official OSGeoLive copy moves back to OSGeo infrastructure, we will
probably keep a copy on GitHub for project visibility and for accepting
pull requests... Lets keep in mind that Linux kernel project is doing
exactly the same: they host the kernel code under kernel.org and have a
copy on GitHub as a backup. Actually this kept the kernel work going,
when kernel.org faced some serious downtime 4 years ago:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/9/4/92

It is true that GitHub is not Free Software, so IMO we should not be
depending on it. I see the ethical issues that arise from using a non
Free provider and it is not the only case in our ecosystem eg. Transifex
used to be Free Software and it is not anymore:

https://github.com/transifex/transifex/issues/206
https://github.com/tymofij/transifex/pull/1#issuecomment-14206884

Best,
Angelos