[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo guidelines for code hosting ?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Oct 18 09:22:36 PDT 2015

On 18 October 2015 at 08:41, Andrea Aime <andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it> wrote:

> In particular, looking at GeoServer experience from the switch, it's rather
> evident we got more people contributing right the moment we did the
> switch
> [...]
> There is however a downside of that, most of these contributions are "one time gigs",
> people help addressing the particular pitfall concerning them and then they move on:
> github did not change the number of core developers, it just increased a lot the
> number of other contributors.
>
> This kind of automation is also rather beneficial to filter our bad contributions... which is
> the dark side of lower contribution barrier, core devs have to spend quite some time evaluating
> pull requests... but ending up with a long queue of them gives a bad impression about the project
> openness. So yeah, another bit to consider I guess, is the project ready to take on them?

I can confirm Andrea's observations.
I have observed very similar trends since moving one of OSS projects
from SourceForge to GitHub.
>From an ad-hoc contributor POV, the SourceForge infrastructure was
unfriendly, badly designed,
with lack of proper UX approach. Switch to the "awesome UX" platform
like GitHub released
those dormant potential.

The new benefits introduced new costs in peer reviews and maintenance.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net