[OSGeo-Discuss] are3na catalog requires software publisher statement

Paul van Genuchten paul.vangenuchten at geocat.net
Thu Sep 3 08:18:17 PDT 2015

Hi list, i'm sending you this mail related to a question i was
discussing, which might be relevant to other osgeo.org communities.

A while ago I registered GeoNetwork as a software item in the are3na
software catalog (https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/interoperability/search).
Recently they updated the software and asked me to review my submission.
These days they have a "publisher"-field as a required field. I wondered
who is actually the publisher of GeoNetwork opensource. Is it the
organisation that prepared a certain release (we rotate this task over
important contributing organisations in the community), could it be
OSGEO.org or should we assign as a community this role to a certain body
(like mentioned in each code fragment header)?

I checked how other OSGEO projects managed this in that catalog. deegree
seems to be added by IDGis, QGIS by faunalia. I liked however the way
Grass has managed this, they registered an organisation "GRASS
Development Team" and assigned that as publisher (and claimed it to be a
"Academia/Scientific organisation").

I'm interested to hear your thoughts about this matter. And also would
urge all communities to register their projects (openlayers, geoserver,
mapserver, geomajas), since the catalog is quite a reference in Europe.

Regards, Paul van Genuchten