[OSGeo-Discuss] Board election: no re-elections this year?

Hans Gregers Petersen gregers at septima.dk
Wed Sep 23 00:41:05 PDT 2015

Hi,

The below is my experience as (unpaid) boardmember in a few Danish
voluntary organisations (ranging from 30 members to around 5-700
members).

> Some questions arise:
> - Is the board membership such a demanding job that members always resign after 2 years?
> - Is this a good thing, to make sure we dont'have board members who are tied to their seats?
> - Or is this a bad thing, with board members switching too fast to reach their goals?

Usually, say in a board of five people, I have seen (been one of) two
or three longterm members. These are the ones pulling the large boring
cart of all the admin stuff, making sure that "we do what is legally
required". They are also the persons ensuring the traditions formed
over the years are carried on in the "next board". I've seen some
people last decades in that position, most have lasted two to four
terms. Then you have the "normal" guy/girl, who in a foreseeable
future would like to do his/her duty, and pull the large cart of the
actual activities of said organisation (for instance FOSS4G, a great
pull on a certain area that has been neglected). They are usually
relatively honest and clear about this (if not towards the general
public, then to themselves and/or the board) at the time of their
election - think of it as "I enjoyed the fruits of this organisation
for a while, and now it I would like to give something back by tending
the garden for a while".

Both types are important and valuable - and I have been both.
For some reason it was easier being the "old fart," when I had tried
being the "new energetic 2-years-only guy".

There are - that is no secret in life - also people who get along
better than others. When I have been in a board, I have had (for
formed) at least one strong relation to someone else there. If you
cannot do that you will feel alone. It is really like any other
"friendship" or "relationship".

Cheers,

Greg