[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo is becoming irrelevant. Here's why. Let's fix it.

Sanghee Shin shshin at gaia3d.com
Sat Sep 26 12:04:45 PDT 2015

Dear All,

I think OSGeo is a body or carrier to carry the spirit of the open source to the world. OSGeo is copper wire to transmit electricity to remote place. Electricity had been there long before the invention of copper wire. We invented copper wire to carry electricity to remote place and now realised copper wire caused the many electricity loss because of rust or noise.

Back to Darrell’s question. Both need both. Just like body needs spirit, electricity needs wire.

Back to Darrell’s question again. What will happen if OSGeo disappear? There will not be official invitation to UN-GGIM conference by UN. There was a meeting between UN Geospatial Section and OSGeo Board during the FOSS4G Seoul for the future cooperation. And there might be no MOU between LH Corp(which has 16,000 employees in Korea) and OSGeo. Consequently the spread of open source GIS in Korea might have been slowed down drastically. It’s just like losing all your copper wire to connect your electricity to your device. What about the Geo4All initiatives? I don’t think this wonderful achievement was possible without OSGeo.

About OSGeo’ death, I’ll not be surprised or care much about whether OSGeo die this evening. There’s nothing immortal. If OSGeo fully seed and spread the spirit of open source, who cares if the body die or not. Spirit eventually bear fruits. The real thing we should be worried about is the spiritual dead.

The problem of recent OSGeo is that it has grown too fast recently just like teenagers. It looks like adult however still young and is not capable of doing many things. It is just embarrassed with many sudden request and callings. So, what should we do now to look after this teenager? First we need to be proud of what it has accomplished so far and give it a cheer. And then sit down together to talk about the future positively, if I’m a father.

Having seen the OSGeo since 2006, I believe we can be proud of OSGeo and it’s achievements. I don’t think we need to reinvent the wheel once again and still can fix it at the moment.

All the best,

신상희
---
Shin, Sanghee